M 371 - Alexiades
Lab 0: Labs and setup
A. Computing environments
You can work on any computer that has:
- internet access
- a PLAIN TEXT editor (vim is best, could use Notepad on a win PC)
- an SSH client for remote connections
- Matlab or python or/and a compiler (Fortran or C)
All the tools are available for free and can install them on your machine, see main course page for links.
- Run Linux on your laptop/PC !
strongly recommended (especially for CS majors).
It is the best OS, complete, essentially free.
Install VirtualBox on your PC, then Linux as Guest OS, works great!
- To work in Fortran or C/C++ from a winPC you must:
either install a compiler (gfortran or gcc) on your machine,
or SSH to your UTK Unix account on unix.utk.edu
- You can use Matlab on the OIT server Apps@UT
- Matlab is a commercial product.
You can use it on the math and UTK machines,
or/and install it on your PC.
UT has a campus-wide license
(see main course page).
There is a FREE matlab clone at www.octave.org
and an even better super-matlab clone: FreeMat
Plotting produces graphics output, see 6. for remote access.
- Python is free, for Linux / Mac / Win. It comes with Linux.
- The only way to see graphics output from a server (like unix.utk.edu)
on your screen is to have an X-windows client
running locally, to which you export the DISPLAY
On linux this is automatic when you ssh to a server.
On winPC, you need to run an X client,
see course page for X client/servers: TightVNC or Xming.
If you come up with any other creative solutions, let me know !
B. How to submit your work:
1. You can get to the ASSIGNMENTS from the course main page.
2. Put all your work for a lab in a single TEXT file,
e.g. lab1.txt starting with:
This file will be submitted via Canvas.
3. To submit, go to Canvas, click "Assignments", click on the Lab again, and under "Assignment Submission" click "Browse My Computer" to attach the labX.txt file.
To practice this process, go to Canvas > Assignments > Lab0.
C. Essentials for UNIX:
See "How-To Essentials" on main course page.